MMS Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement (“Statement”) is meant to help you understand how we collect, process and store data to meet legal requirements and maintain our data protection standards
We are GM International Conferences and Exhibitions Ltd (“we”, “us” and “our”), a company incorporated under the laws of Malta with company registration number C-33836 and with the registered office at St. Lucia Street 147/1, 1185 VLT Valletta, Malta.
We are organisers of conferences and events including “Malta Maritime Summit” (the “Summit”).
It is impossible for us to provide you with our services if we are not allowed to process your data. For this reason, by providing us with your personal data, you agree to be legally bound by and explicitly consent to this Privacy Statement, as it may be amended from time to time.
If you do not agree to this Statement or cannot form a legally binding contract, we would not be able to process your personal data and provide our services.
- Scope of this Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement relates to our use of any personal information we collect or use in relation to the following services (collectively, the “Services”):
– the Summit;
– the Summit website;
– the Summit app;
– online surveys and polls relating to the Summit;
– the Summits’ official social media channels.
- Data collected and method of collection
2.1 Data we collect from you:
– Attendee registration form – When you register to attend the Summit, you must provide us with basic information such as name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth. We also give you the option to provide additional information.
– Payment and credit card information. When purchasing tickets to attend the Summit, you must provide us with your name, address, telephone number, email address, credit card, debit card or bank information. This information will not be shared with third parties.
– Summit app profile information. While installing the Summit app, you will have an option of providing us with additional profile information, such as name and email address, and whether you want your profile information to be discoverable within the app by other attendees and partners of the Summit Certain profile information may be included on our Featured Attendees page
– Summit survey responses. We may ask you to participate in optional surveys regarding your experience at the Summit in order to help us improve the event and for related commercial purposes.
Following the reception of the data, an electronic profile is created in our tools for each person or entity (the “Contact Profile”).
The Contact Profile may contain but is not limited to:
- date of birth;
- phone numbers;
- email addresses;
- physical location data during an event;
- food or allergies preferences;
- emergency contact information;
- organization or company of employment and/or job title;
- field of activity and/or interest;
- credit card references/numbers;
- accommodation preferences;
- other communicated preferences;
- passport; and
- visa details.
Please note that that by attending the Summit, you authorize, free of charge and without consideration of any kind whatsoever, that any image and sound recording made in connection with the Summit, by video and/or audio recording, and/or photograph on which it appears, may be used, reproduced, modified and broadcast on any medium known or unknown to date and in particular on social networks or its Sites, by us or any GM Group or affiliated company the meaning of the regulations in force, for the duration of exploitation of the video and/or audio recordings, and/or photographs.
2.2 Cookies Policy
- Purpose of data collection
We use the data collected to provide, maintain, protect and improve the overall quality of our services.
In addition to creating Contact Profiles, we may use your data for the following purposes and for which you give your consent:
- Providing and improving the requested Services. We use your personal information as necessary to run the Summit, such as to register attendees, issue tickets, and provide you with relevant connections and content during the Summit based on provided information and your use of the Summit app.
- Communicating with you. We use your personal information to contact you regarding your registration to attend or speak and to notify you of any relevant changes.
- If you opt-in to receiving our newsletter, we will use your personal information for outreach and marketing, such as to send you information about our future events. You can opt-out of these communications by using the unsubscribe links in our communications. We may also use your information in order to market the Conferences. For example, we sometimes use your image in our published list of Conference attendees.
- Advertising. We use your personal information to be able to show you advertising on other websites. Please also review our Cookies policy.
- Other purposes: We may use your data as we believe to be necessary or appropriate:
- under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence;
- to comply with legal process;
- to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence;
- to enforce our terms and conditions;
- to protect our operations;
- to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, you or others; and
- to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
We will ask your consent before using data for a purpose other than those that are set out in this Statement subject to mandatory laws.
- Duration of storage
We will keep general and personal data only as long as reasonably necessary taking into consideration our operations, needs to provide improved and new services and to comply with legal requirements under applicable laws or with inquiries from attendees/delegates from past events. We will retain general and personal data during a maximum period of five years if no specific legal requirement.
We acknowledge your right to be forgotten. Therefore we do not retain your data longer than it is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which we collected the data and longer than we are obliged to keep your data under relevant laws.
If you wish us to delete some or all categories of your data, kindly send us an email to email@example.com. Please note, however, that we may not always be able to satisfy your request of erasure for specific legal reasons. In such a case you will be notified about it without a delay.
- Your obligations
You must ensure that the data you provide us with are:
- truthful; and
- compliant with any applicable laws.
In particular, since we mainly use email communications with you, kindly notify us of any changes of your email address.
- Disclosure of your Personal Data
Without prejudice to anything contained in this Privacy Statement, we may need to grant access to, disclose or share your personal data with the parties set out below for the purposes set out in Clause 3 above:
- Our Group corporate entities including GM Corporate and Fiduciary Services Limited, GM International Services Ltd., all of, 147/1, St. Lucia Street, Valletta, VLT 1185, Malta;
- Our affiliate law firm Gauci-Maistre Xynou (Legal | Assurance) of 147/8, St. Lucia Street, Valletta, VLT 1185, Malta;
- Service providers, including those that provide IT support and system administration services for us;
- Suppliers and external agencies that we engage to process information on our and/or your behalf, including to provide you with the information and/or materials that you have requested;
- Third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer, or merge parts of our business or our assets (successors in title). Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this Policy.
We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not transfer your Personal Data to any third parties for marketing purposes.
We value your trust in providing us with your Personal Data, thus we are striving to use commercially acceptable means of protecting it. We have implemented security policies, rules and technical measures dedicated to the protection of the Personal Data processed by us and that data that we have under our control. Please note, however, that no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure and reliable, and we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
- Social Media Usage
While we may have official profiles on social media platforms, you are advised to verify authenticity of such profiles before engaging with, or sharing information with such profiles. We will never ask for your passwords or personal details on social media platforms. You are advised to conduct yourself appropriately when engaging with us on social media.
There may be instances where our website features social sharing buttons, which help share web content directly from web pages to the respective social media platforms. You use social sharing buttons at your own discretion and accept that doing so may publish content to your social media profile feed or page.
- Your rights
In accordance with applicable data protection laws and regulations, you as a Subject Person have the following rights:
- of access to personal data or data about processing of personal data;
- to portability (i.e. copies of personal data for your own use);
- to object to processing;
- to restrict processing;
- to erasure (‘the right to be forgotten’);
- to rectification (the correction of erroneous data);
- and the right to human-made decisions*
*This means the right to object to the result of automated data processing or profiling, i.e. you may request the intervention of a human in any decision-making process.
If you wish to exercise any of the above, please send us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that the rights are not absolute. We will weight your request to exercise any of these rights against our own obligations and legitimate interests.
We may update our Privacy Statement from time to time, especially where statutory obligations so require, or where the interest of our users’ security so requires. Thus, we advise you to review this page periodically for any changes. We will notify you of any changes by posting the new Privacy Statement on this page and, if the changes are significant, we will send a notice to the e-mail address provided in your Contact Profile. These changes are effective as of the date of posting.
If you need further assistance, please contact us at Email address: email@example.com
You have the right to lodge a complaint on data protection matters with a competent supervisory authority. In Malta this is the Office of the Information and Data Protection Commissioner (IDPC).
Mr Saviour Cachia
Floor 2, Airways House
Sliema, SLM 1549
However, we would appreciate if you could contact us first if you feel that your rights are not respected so we may address your concerns first.